Thursday, January 24, 2019

A day like any other (January 24th 2019)

This day started like any other day....woke up to the sound of clanging symbol
and like any other day...I rolled over and wondered how anyone could possibly wake up to ring bells. But this is a tradition like many things in Tanzania, and reverence to its complete adherence is key.

Like any other day, we lingered in our suite while morning church commenced... we are not apathetic to this event. We just like to enjoy our coffee and appreciate the splendorous Tanzanian hills and valleys. The air is crisp, while there is an overlay of mist as an afterthought of the past rain. It clothes us with a message of renewed hope. I too this morning feel renewed hope, as yesterday was a day that I felt stifled. As a self-diagnosed introverted extrovert, I am afflicted with an incurable need for solitude when faced with too much togetherness. I finally realized today that it important to take time to self reflect and each day I need to make it a top priority.

I was once again in the maternity ward. Three laboring patients today, one of whom had newly diagnosed HIV. I realized that unlike the US, there is no base viral load that this required for treatment. Breastfeeding is encouraged to women even if they are HIV positive. This practice strategy is unlike the US system. In the setting of low economic resources, unfiltered tap water, and severe malnutrition, it is likely that a child will die of diarrhea rather than any HIV complication. This sad reality is one that is faced by many of this disenfranchised and destitute nation. It saddens me to realize that many women have to choose between the lesser of two evils.

We completed our afternoon with a talk on anemia. While listening to this lecture, I looked over and saw a gentelman lowering the national flag. No one was watching him (well except me), but he took this job very seriously. He sounded his whistle and lowered the flag, folded the flag neatly and marched away like any ordinary sargeant in well formed army. Again, tradition to be respected.

Still, I am grateful to be here. I get to learn from my colleagues, get to find myself in an unfamiliar environment and get to enjoy the great splendor that is Tanzania.

Asante Sana!!

Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ilula Minnesota Healthcare Conference

Monday and Tuesday were devoted to presenting our seventh annual Ilula Minnesota International HealthCare Conference.  This conference brin...